Because of COVID-19 and continued social distancing concerns, St. Stephen will not be hosting Room in the Inn this summer. We will be looking forward to the possibility of greeting guests again in December 2020.
In the meantime, St. Stephen is exploring other mission projects to serve our friends experiencing homelessness this summer, including expansion of sack lunch deliveries to Presbyterian Night Shelter. We will keep you posted on these mission opportunities!
ABOUT VOLUNTEERING FOR ROOM IN THE INN
During the hottest and coldest months of the year, St. Stephen opens its doors to people experiencing homelessness in our community every Tuesday night and Wednesday morning. Through our partnership with the Day Resource Center for the Homeless, up to 15 men are transported to Parish Hall where we provide a comfortable space for them to enjoy a restful evening, including two hearty meals– and especially warm hospitality among St. Stephen members and friends. We welcome your participation in this important mission! And your services will be greatly appreciated by our guests!
To properly execute RITI each week requires approximately 30 volunteers. Volunteer opportunities include:
• Setup (beds/ dinner tables) (3:30 – 4:30pm Tues)
• Drivers (from/ to East Lancaster) (4:15– 5:15pm Tues; 7:00 – 8:00am Wed)
• Pre-preparation of dinner & delivery to the church kitchen (by 4pm Tues)
• Final preparation/ serving of dinner & cleanup at church (4:00 – 7:00pm Tues)
• Hosts—visiting with guests before/during/after dinner, or breakfast (5:00 – 9:00pm Tues; 6:30 – 7:00am Wed)
• Supervision of sack lunch preparation at church (6:30 – 7:30pm Tues)
• Innkeepers—sleeping overnight at church alongside our guests (9:00pm Tues – 6:00am Wed)
• Pre-preparation of breakfast & delivery to the church kitchen (by 9:00pm Tues)
• Final preparation/ serving of breakfast & cleanup at church (5:45 – 8:00am Wed)
• Laundry—washing bed linens/ towels/ wash cloths & delivering back to church (Wed pm – Tues am)
We welcome participation by everyone—St. Stephen members, visitors & friends—and know it will be a meaningful experience for you.
You can sign up for any of these jobs for a specific date online via Sign Up Genius.
Thanks to Dan Fergus, who saw a problem and was determined to promptly fix it— and thanks to the generosity of members and friends of St. Stephen, who funded and helped to construct—we now have collapsible bed frames that enable our guests (and innkeepers!) to sleep elevated from the floor at a normal bed height! We know this will provide a more comfortable experience for our guests, and hope it will encourage more to volunteer as innkeepers, as it is now easier to get in and out of bed! Thank you, Dan and all who helped make this happen!
MANY THANKS to all who continue to make Room in the Inn a priority mission for St. Stephen!